Before becoming a full-time author of fiction in 2015, Max variously worked as:
- a Stasi and SED (East German Communist Party) files archivist – mostly evaluating and processing records of the opposition movements in the GDR as well as security issues on the Berlin Wall;
- a co-operative development worker;
- and a book seller.
Work In Progress
- Max is currently working on several climate fiction ideas, trying to decide which to prioritise.
- Meanwhile, he’s also expanding the Cold War Lieutenant Reim series of spy and crime fiction, which starts in 1983. The novels are narrated by our eponymous anti-hero, a junior officer in the Stasi.
- The East Berlin Series of proto-utopian fiction set in a GDR that didn’t disappear in 1990.
- Cold Island, set in the near future of a post-Brexit UK, seeing the changes through the eyes of an EU citizen who has lived most of her life in Britain.
- With Seeds for Change Co-operative, he co-wrote A Consensus Handbook and How To Set Up A Workers’ Co-op.
Stay in touch
Catch Max on Twitter, or sign up to his newsletter:
- get sneak previews, features and news–straight to your inbox,
- get a free short story.
Find out more about the newsletter.
Contact Max directly using the form on the contact page.